Living Room Makeover





A living room is where most of us spend our time. Whether it be watching tv, playing games with family and friends or taking a Sunday snooze on the coach. The living room is where life happens.
We want our living space to have function and beauty. Some of the challenges for us lie in the size of house and lack of storage as well as the toddler who insists on constant sprinkling of toys. Like sprinkles on a chocolate donut. So our journey began in the organizational challenge of getting the clutter out of sight and in a designated place.


We did some serious decluttering. We used the Kon Mari method (Book https://www.amazon.com/Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Decluttering-Organizing/dp/1607747308) to really look at what we had and ask ourselves some questions. Does this object bring me joy? Is it functional? Am I holding onto it for sentimental reasons? With some direction we were able to whittle our belongings down.


I have a confession.  I am addicted to reusing items. My biggest challenge is letting go of an object. I get a thrill from reinventing something for a new purpose. This attitude in itself is great for repurposing but not so great when I am just hoarding useless stuff for the off chance that I may use it. Getting rid of those items took some coaxing by my husband but it was so helpful to have the long term goal of feeling comfortable in our living room. Once we emptied the space we both commented on how relaxing our living room felt with out the visual clutter.


Rearranging was our third step to reclaiming our living room. This took some thought and planning. How do we use the space. What feels safe to keep in a room with a toddler. We are nearly professional rearranges at this point. It is one of our addictions. My sister jokes that every time she comes over something is different and she lives 4 blocks from us. I find that rearranging a room can keep you from buying new furniture because the space feels new and fresh after a room shuffle.

Lastly, we had to look critically at our current couch, tables, and accessories. Once we really looked around then we took action improving. We painted items to help them match decor and style better.
We have a friend that started a business reimagining spaces for clients by painting and adding DYI projects to get the look a client was going for in their home without buying all new furniture and decor. Check out her website (Nikki http://www.projectphxhome.com/ ).   I love this idea. Use what you have to create the look you want.


I hope you found this post helpful. Let me know if you have any questions. Have a stupendous day!


Comments

Popular Posts